Pest News Bulletin
No (Summer) Break – Take the Plunge!
After a long wintery episode, we are now embracing long waited summer season. During the summer months, pest pressure in Ontario is
at its worst. Atmospheric changes in weather cause enormous seasonal pest reproduction in summer. Pest like mice, ants (pavement ants, carpenter ants), wasp, bedbugs, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, Cockroaches, house, flies, fruit flies, meal moth, carpenter bees& various flying and crawling insects’ activity is usually on rise. Somepests have a clear path from the sewers, drains or septic tanks into homes. Cluster flies harboring in attics can explode once the eggs left behind start hatching cause nuisance to home dwellers. Ants, bed bugs, roaches and other pests waste no time infesting homes.
We at “Pest Control Barrie” offer a broad range of pest control services. Education is critical to help homeowners and property managers understand the need for year-round pest control and the benefits of having someone periodically check in on their properties. Pest bring various hygienic, health and property damage concerns with them. You can’t barricade your property from all risks, but can take positive steps to educate yourself, protect your property and the health of your family.
Mice & Rats
Mice and rats population has dramatically gone up this year in Barrie and surrounding areas. In contrast to the cute and cuddly versions of mice we have seen throughout the media, mice and the mess they leave behind are health hazard. Weather driven sudden variation of temperature to blame for the fast growing mice and rats population. Rodents are also known as “Heat Seeking Missiles”. Ongoing construction of a new subdivision also cause rodents running rampant in their homes and on their properties. This year we have noticed an absurdly high rate of mice and rats breeding. This nasty creature depend on humans to live, so it's important to be aware of anything that could help them survive. They need food and shelter. When they manage to get in through the house, they do have the both, and within short span of time start multiplying. Once breeding has begun, you are dealing with a full-blown infestation. On average, a female mouse can have up to 60 babies per year. Mice presence may cause great health risks to yourself, your family or customers. Mice and rats are notorious to gnaw through electrical cables, creating a potential fire hazard through damaged wiring. In addition to physical damage, mice are known to carry various diseases and bacteria like; Salmonella, Lyme disease, Hantavirus and even LCM (Lymphocytic Choriomegitis). Following tips will be helpful to avoid the mice and rats problem.
- Eliminate all sources of food which they might have primary access.
- Don’t leave your garage door open unnecessarily. Have a look at your garage door, to ensure it's sealed properly.
- Go around your property to find out if there are any holes or damages need to be fixed. Replace broken vent covers, wearied out seals of air-conditioning or water pipe or any open spaces, sealing holes and reducing clutter on the outside of the property. 3/4 to one inch hole is sufficient for mice or rat to get in through.
- Sanitation plays a key role in mice & rats extermination. Control methods vary from sanitation to sanitation.
Avoid the hassle of using traditional techniques to deal with the issue and health risks associated with it.
Call “Pest Control Barrie” at 705-812-1412 for professional extermination services.
Among many species of ants, only a few are pests in the home. Ants are social insects which live in colonies. By nature they are important predators and scavengers which contribute to the recycling of nutrients to the soil, however in domestic or industrial situations they can be quite nuisance and will nest behind the kitchen counters, washrooms, laundry rooms, behind wall cavities, and under the baseboards. Some species nest in soil, amongst rocks and in decaying timber. Warm temperatures play a significant role in their prominence. To avoid ants, maintaining good hygienic conditions is very important. Kitchen and dining areas should be kept clean and free of food particles and waste. Pets feeding areas and foods leftovers should be cleaned up immediately. Decaying timber out in the back yards provide nesting sites too, and should be removed. Any persistent ant infestations in homes or commercial places should be treated by hiring a professional pest controller like Pest Control Barrie at 705-812-1412.
Carpenter ants can cause structural damage as they excavate the wood and form smooth tunnels inside the wood. These do not eat wood, but chew through wood, make tunnels and create nests. Carpenter ants attack wood softened by fungus or associated with moisture problems. They attack wood that is currently or has previously been wet, damaged by moisture or decayed wood. Later on they may begin excavating tunnels through dry wood as
well. Property owners should keep an eye out for excess moisture and soft, rotting wood in and around the home. To prevent carpenter ants problem you should eliminate sources of moisture or water leakage. These ants are known for their powerful jaws and their bites are quiet painful. They may also inject formic acid into the bite wound, creating a burning sensation. However, this pain will subside and does not pose a significant health threat. In their nest building process, they do damage wood and can pose a significant property threat. For professional carpenter ants control service call “Pest Control Barrie” at 705-812-1412.
Bed bugs is a serious problem in the city of Barrie. These wingless insects feed on the blood of people while they sleep. They come out at night to feed, attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale. They can easily move from room to room on infested objects or with human body or clothes. Bedbugs cling to wood and fabric, and their eggs are cemented to the surface where they were laid. They hide in extremely small locations: in mattress pads, inside box springs, inside the cracks, gaps in the bed frames and base boards, under wallpaper, and behind picture frames etc. The female bedbug lays at least 200 eggs in her lifetime, at a rate of about two to four each day and are laid in cracks and crevices, behind woodwork, mattress, wooden bed frames and other hidden locations and usually hatch in 6 to 17 days. The ideal environment for reproduction is with temperatures ranging between 21°C and 28°C. Initially it was believed that bedbugs were not carriers of disease, however experts have more recently discovered that the bugs can transmit a parasite that may cause serious heart and digestive problems. Bed bugs are not a DIY (Do It Yourself) pest problem and require professional extermination services.
Following tips will be helpful to find out the bed bugs infestation and to deal with the issue;
Precautions & Physical Control methods
- Inspect the bed - mattress, zippers, seams, cushion tufts, and in behind and around the headboard. Check the furniture and walls, furniture frames and cushions using something with a hard corner or edge, like a credit card.
- Look behind paintings, posters, mirrors, as well as around moldings, trim, baseboards, window frames, cracks in plaster, peeling wallpaper, in electrical outlets, light switches, phones and clocks, as well as all the carpeting rugs.
- It includes steam cleaning, vacuuming, heating, freezing, washing, and throwing out items. Wash mattress pads, bedding, bed skirts, infested clothes, curtains in hot water and dry them on the hottest dryer setting.
- Store clean, dry items in light-coloured sealed heavy duty plastic bags or plastic storage bins with secure lids to avoid infesting other areas. Thoroughly vacuum all over to remove bedbugs and eggs. This includes the mattress, box spring, bed frame, baseboards, non-washable furniture cushions, any rugs and carpeting, around heating units and baseboards, and the inside and underneath all drawers and furniture.
- Throw out any infested items like mattress, box spring, wooden furniture etc.
- Do not use homemade pesticides. They could harm you and your family. Never use any treatment on people or pets.
If you do find bedbugs in your home, please seek professional extermination service for bedbugs control and advice.
Call: Pest Control Barrie at 705-812-1412.
Wasps are active in the summer months and are very aggressive, particularly when they feel their nests are in danger. Their nests are formed under tree branches and the eaves of houses, and are shaped like inverted cones. Some wasp make nesting in brick holes, gaps, crevices and sidings of the roof. They cause painful stings. It is recommended you be in touch with a professional pest control service to remove a wasp nest. Additionally, medical attention should be sought immediately if an individual is stung and is either known to be allergic to wasp venom, or appears to be experiencing allergic reactions.
For any kind of hornet or wasp control or wasp nest removals Call “Pest Control Barrie”: 705-812-1412
Cockroaches multiply rapidly, and can survive for several months without food and up to two weeks without water. Elimination of roaches involves not just applying an insecticide only. It is two-step process. Sanitation / Preparation, and the actual insecticide application. Sanitation of kitchen and washrooms specifically and maintaining tidy housekeeping is the key to eliminate the roaches infestation and for a roach-free living. Poorly maintained sanitization and housekeeping fail to eliminate roaches infestation even by insecticides applications. Following tips will be helpful to avoid the roach’s infestation;
- Eliminate food, water sources & hiding places. Empty & clean all cabinets. Regular cleaning of kitchen & all appliances. Keep food in sealed containers. Limit food consumption to one room of the house. Vacuum or sweep all other non-food areas of the home regularly. Empty pet food containers overnight, or cover tightly. Keep garbage cans clean and covered.
For professional extermination services call “Pest Control Barrie” at 705-812-1412.
Pest Control Barrie provides a discreet personal service to protect your home or business premises from the destructive activity of all pests.